Tuesday, May 19, 2009

from top to bottom

I wish I could capture the true color of these radishes. They seem to photograph in a more magenta hue than is accurate regardless of the light I use. In reality, however, they vary from the palest lavender to a deep and moody plum color - hence the name Purple Plum, I suppose.
When pulled straight from the soil and given a rinse, they bite at your tongue with a quick, but intense spice and crunch. Yet when refrigerated or cooked, their flavor mellows.
The greens are covered in fine, bristly hairs that graze your fingers like a cat's tongue. Their flavor is similar to arugula, I find, and when wilted in the pan much of their slight bitterness softens.

Honey-Lime Heirloom Radishes with Greens
(adapted from the recipe for Sauteed Radishes with Radish Greens or Arugula in Farmer John's Cookbook: The Real Dirt on Vegetables)

Ingredients:

1 Lb. radishes with greens
2 Tb. butter
2 Tb. fresh lime juice (approximately 1 lime)
2 tsp. honey
Salt and Pepper
Chili Powder or Smoked Paprika (optional)

Wash, trim and quarter radishes. Pick through and rinse radish greens. Whisk the lime juice and honey together in a small bowl. Set aside.

Heat butter in a medium saucepan, over medium-high heat until melted. Add radishes and saute until tender-crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove radishes, place in a bowl and set aside. To the same pan, add the radish greens and saute until just wilted, about 2 minutes more. Add the radishes back to the pan with the greens. Add the honey-lime mixture and stir to coat the greens and radishes. Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper and serve sprinkled with chili powder or smoked paprika.

2 comments:

Through My Kitchen Window said...

I am not a fan of radishes but I love the combo of lime, honey and butter, perhaps a touch of chilli and garlic. I will be sure to try this next time I pan fry some asparagus.

Chelsea said...

I found the lime and honey was a little more interesting than the lemon juice that is often used with sauteed greens and veggies - I'd be curious to hear if it you like it with asparagus...