Saturday, August 6, 2011

Quinoa

Quinoa.
We've been reacquainted this summer after a few too many less than memorable encounters.
What was I thinking???
Second chances, people. They are so important.
Quinoa's won me over this summer, stubborn girl that I am.
Rinsed in a damp tea towel over a mesh strainer, the bitterness is lost. Simmered and steamed, in about 20 minutes it's ready for accompaniment. Twice (maybe three times?) I've tossed it, still a tiny bit warm, with the kernels of 2 corncobs, a little minced spring onion and a few slivered leaves of basil and dressed it with a big squeeze from 1/2 a lime, enough olive oil to make me happy and some sea salt. Last night we ate it in bowls, topped with stewed spicy beans, more summer corn with jalapeno and lime, a quick tomato salsa and a grating of cheese.
And, you know what? It's even delicious for breakfast...
Breakfast Quinoa with Almond-Peach Quick Jam

Simmer 3 peeled, pitted and coarsely chopped ripe peaches together with 1/4 cup of sugar and 1/4 teaspoon (or to taste) of almond extract until thickened, crushing and stirring the fruit as you go - about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
Drizzle enough soy milk over a small dish of leftover plain quinoa to moisten the grains (more or less, depending on your preference) and reheat until just warm.
Spoon over some of the jam and eat happily.

6 comments:

Julia said...

I read this while in L&D and have been itching to try it ever since. Soon, I hope!

Dina said...

What a tasty breakfast!

chelsea said...

Thanks ladies! Julia - I can't believe you were reading this in L&D! That made me laugh ;)

Mountain Air Marketing said...

Hi Chelsa, Love your blogs! Found a photo of yours that I'd love to use on a fan page I have. It is on http://compfight.com. How can I get in touch with you to discuss if you'll give me permission to use it and if so, how you'd like to be credited? My email is
dreamweaver08@gmail.com Thanks! Martha

Anonymous said...

I have been iffy about quinoa, but this breakfast recipe has inspired me to try it :)! I love your photos too - they're clean, and gorgeous. I just begun a new blog at bellybellylalala.com, trying to combine beautiful fresh ingredients like yourself with interesting food.

Figs & Rosemary said...

I love the photos!
And I love the recipes- will try out!
I will have to look around more for quinoa as it's not popular in Poland, but hey- I'll make it a quinoa hunt:)
If you want to, you can check out my recipes ( with muchos worse pics;p) on
figsandrosemary.blogspot.com