Thursday, April 14, 2011

ramps

Plodding along this week - rain every other day makes it hard to get things in the ground and I'm ready to see my own garden spring forward. It's been a slow, ease into spring this year, but at least the parsley's come back (sometimes it doesn't) and the sorrel and arugula are doing just fine. I've even spotted sprouts in the radish and chard rows. Our farmer's markets are just now starting up again - I snapped up some baby kale, scallions, salad greens and these local ramps. Which, if like me you didn't know existed until fairly recently, are a nice find at the market. Local wild (foraged) foods seem to be gaining popularity and I love coming across them. They're special - unique to our localities, only available when perfectly in season, hand-picked - often the kind of thing for which recipes are recited from memory, passed down or jotted on scraps of paper, origins murky or possibly unknown altogether. Though I suppose these days, you can find just about anything online... Pizza with Wild Ramps, Mushrooms and Sausage (another pizza - no rules - use whatever quantities you have on hand) Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. In a medium skillet, heat a tablespoon or two of olive oil over medium heat. Saute 1 link of Italian sausage (sweet or hot), casing removed and meat crumbled, with a handful of sliced mushrooms and a small bunch of cleaned, trimmed and sliced ramps for a few minutes, until the sausage is cooked through and the mushrooms have softened. Spread a ball of pizza dough out on a baking sheet (or free-form on parchment paper, if baking on a stone), spread a few tablespoons of pizza sauce over the crust, top with a crumble of feta and some grated Provalone. Distribute the sausage and ramp mixture across the surface and bake for 10-20 minutes, or until the crust is browned and the cheese has melted (if using a stone, transfer the pizza, still on the parchment, to the stone and bake, paper and all, in the same manner).

7 comments:

jill said...

What are you shooting with these days? I like the style of the recent photos. Also am loving the lime/blueberry jam with plain yogurt each morning. Thanks again!

@design_love said...

who had ramps? Shepherdstown Farmer's Market? (it's the only one I know for sure is open already; none of the ones in Frederick open until May ;(

Chelsea said...

Hiya Jill - glad you're enjoying the jam. I'm still using the same old point-and-shoot camera, just doing a little doctoring.

@Charcuterista - I saw at least 2 folks at the Shepherdstown market who had ramps. I think that the Charles Town market is open now too (it's on Saturdays; Shepherdstown is on Sundays) and a lot of the same vendors sell at both markets. What's up with Frederick? It's agonizing to wait until May!

Through My Kitchen Window said...

Wild ramps - never heard of it; but I like the sound of it. Thanks for introducing me to a newfound veggie - like you, I love to discover new seasonal fruits, veggies or produce. Pizza sounds ideal.
Hope you have a Happy Easter Chelsea. Mariana xxx

Chelsea said...

I hope you get to try them some day. Happy Easter to you too, Mariana!

Lucy said...

yes, i was just going to echo jill...it's such a stunner of a photo, this one! doctor away, i say.

ramps...sigh...what do you do with sorrel?

Chelsea said...

Thanks Lucy.

Mostly I just watch the sorrel grow, I think. It's prolific. I do like the baby leaves in a salad and Ottolenghi has a nice sauce recipe in Plenty. I've also just been reading about adding them to the 'condiments' for some Vietnamese dishes - I've read they sometimes use it instead of fish mint...